Expanded CSEP-CPT Scope of Practice - November 2018
The CSEP-CPT Scope of Practice defines the actions and activities that CSEP Certified Personal Trainers® are qualified and insured to perform under their defined certification.
The CSEP-CPT Scope of Practice (SOP) was updated in November 2018 to remove the age restrictions for CSEP-CPTs. The expanded SOP will allow CSEP-CPTs to work with clients of all ages. As the Gold Standard in exercise science and personal training, CSEP continues to ensure our certifications reflect the highest standards, industry trends, and best practices while continually considering member input. This expanded Scope of Practice allows CSEP-CPTs to expand their potential client base and make the CSEP-CPT certification more valuable.
To work within the updated CSEP-CPT Scope of Practice
, current CSEP-CPTs will need to complete a required update
by March 31, 2019. The update includes a module focused on working with Children & Youth and a module focused on working with Older Adults. Once completed you will be able to practice under the updated Scope of Practice.
How does this impact those pursuing their CSEP-CPT certification?
Those who are currently pursuing their CSEP-CPT certification will need to complete a required update once they complete their certification exams and become members. The update will include a module focused on working with Children & Youth and a module focused on working with Older Adults. Once completed you will be able to practice under the updated Scope of Practice.
About the required update
The required update is now available online in English and French with limited in-person opportunities. It must be completed by March 31, 2019. The online update will cost $35.00 . Each member will earn 10 CSEP Professional Development Credits (PDC) for completing the update.
View the expanded Scope of Practice.
CSEP-CPT Scope of Practice Update: Working with all ages
Click below to watch a module focused on working with children & youth and older adults. Subscription includes a video in English and French
Cost: $35.00 | Earn 10 CSEP Professional Development Credits
CSEP-CPT Scope of Practice
In-Person Scope of Practice Update Sessions
Sault Ste. Marie
March 4th, 2019 - 6:30pm - 8:30pm
: Sault College, 443 Northern Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B 3G8
$50.00 + tax
February 25th, 2019
February 16th, 2019 - 1:00-2:30pm
: Wellness Institute, 1075 Leila Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R2P 2W7
$40.00 + tax
February 12th, 2019
When: March 16th, 2019 - 1:00-2:30pm
Location: Wellness Institute, 1075 Leila Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R2P 2W7
Cost: $40.00 + tax
Registration Deadline: March 12th, 2019
March 13th, 2019 - 5:00-9:00 pm
: Canadian Sport Institute Calgary at WinSport, 151 Canada Olympic Road SW, Calgary, AB
March 6, 2019
CSEP-CPT Scope of Practice
The CSEP Certified Personal Trainer® (CSEP-CPT) is a professional with, at minimum, the equivalent of 2-years of full-time study (or 60 credits) of University/College coursework in specific core competency areas related to the exercise sciences, from an accredited post-secondary institution. A CSEP-CPT works with apparently healthy individuals or those with a stable health condition who are able to exercise independently.
A CSEP-CPT is NOT sanctioned by CSEP to:
- Conducts basic pre-participation health screening assessments on all clients using evidence-based tools, and gathers information about physical activity and lifestyle behaviours.
- Administers various fitness assessments on clients including submaximal aerobic fitness, musculoskeletal fitness (muscular strength, endurance, power, flexibility and balance), and anthropometry.
- Gathers and applies information about the physical activity, fitness, and lifestyle of a client or group of clients to design, implement, and monitor client-tailored submaximal exercise programs for healthier living.
- Recognizes their own area of expertise and refers clients who fall outside that expertise to a CSEP Certified Exercise Physiologist® (CSEP-CEP), physician, or other appropriate health care provider.
- Use an ECG for any purpose.
- Utilize any assessment protocols or design exercise programs that require maximal aerobic or anaerobic effort.
- Assess muscular strength using maximal 1RM assessment protocols or design programs based on resistance loads exceeding 90% of the predicted 1RM.
- Administer fitness assessments, or design, implement and monitor client- tailored exercise prescription strategies for populations with unstable medical conditions or more than one medical condition, or that the CSEP-CPT feels ill- equipped to address.